Saturday, February 24, 2007

R.I.P. Split Lip Rayfield

My brother writes about the tragic and untimely demise of Split Lip Rayfield frontman Kirk Rundstrom:


Hey, thanks to DKP for alerting me to the sad news out of Kansas this week. A newspaper report is below.

Maybe you fielded a note from me the first time I saw Kirk Rundstrom and Split Lip Rayfield. Holy roly poly moly! (What was that--10 years ago?)
In popular music, it seems, there's rote and mainstream and alternative and mixes too. Then there's invention beyond the categories. Maybe SLR falls/fell there; I'll leave that judgment to fine tuners among us.
For this moment of grief, I'm playing my SLR CDs loud in our Saturday-emptied house. A Kansas-like wind pours through the front door, as if to the beat of a gas-tank bass or a relentless banjo or the zum-zum mandolin or hey-hey-hey four-guys-wailing to harmony best they can--such rich energy, such dark vision, and hope and despair and knee-poppin' twang.

Yeah, zest...

g.

No comments: