Saturday, March 3, 2007

What Are The Odds?

OK, math wizards, ponder this one:

Tonight we dined at the Taqueria Poblano. While there, I noticed over the din that they were playing Camera Obscura's "Let's Get Out of This Country." Not particularly unusual, as this was a popular song from a popular record. The restaurant speakers then offered "Sunday Morning," the great Velvet Underground song, performed by Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet.

Now, loyal listeners will note that not only are both of these songs on THLS 2006, but in that order. It's a musical exacta.

When I got home, I confirmed that these two songs were in fact next to each other on my cd. This seemed too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence. Convinced I was finally achieving the musical influence I have always deserved, I headed back to the Taqueria, with J. Roosevelt in tow (so I would look less like a lunatic).

Turns out the very hip (at least now I think so) bartender Brian had put together a mix to play at the restaurant that tracked THLS 2006 for just a brief moment. I must admit I was disappointed that they were not playing a bootlegged THLS 2006 obtained in the vast Arlington musical underground.

So, math wizards out there, tell me: What are the odds?

3 comments:

Clementine said...

Don't know what the odds are, but I just listened to "Take the Skinheads Bowling" on your website, for the first time in about 15 years or so. Very enjoyable. Except when I clicked here to comment on it, it stopped playing, which was sad. Now I'll go back and finish listening to it!

Roosevelt Street In Exile said...

Glad you liked it. I'm trying out this Sonific thing. Not sure that are that many songs I like, but what they hey?!

Max Derlmeister said...

The odds are 2-to-1. Why? Because I'm a !#*$@!#^! wizard, that's why.